Monday, March 26, 2012

Miso

Some time early in the last decade, my friend Nora gave me a CDR with the word "Miso" on it.  She told me it was just one guy up in New York.  After one listen, I knew this guy was going to be a monster.  The next Beck.  No, bigger.
Well...
I don't really have my finger on the pulse of what kids these days are listening to.  It's been like that for a long time.  I can really only speculate why this guy didn't become an international superstar.  It might be because being able to seamlessly go from Britpop to dance to country to folk to punk to metal - while being amazing and impressive to me - is just too much for most people to stomach.  Maybe it happened in the late 1990's, but it seems to me that versatility became more of a liability than an asset.  This makes a lot more sense now in the digital age.  I like garlic.  I like chocolate.  I like sweet potato fries.  I like blueberries.  But I don't necessarily want them all on one plate.
The market value for songs in the past decade has completely bottomed out.  If you have the ability to go to youtube.com, you can hear almost every song that was ever recorded in a studio (and hundreds of thousands that unfortunately have not).  While this is all well and good in the short run, I'm fairly convinced that the world is running out of decent rock songs.  They're like paper clips.  They're everywhere.  You can use the ones that already exist, there's no real reason to make any more (unless you really happen to like bending thin bands of metal {like I do}).  Every album that comes out now is up there against Led Zeppelin IV, and they both cost the same amount (free).  Having all this choice is overwhelming, and in the long run will make us listeners more conservative and less adventurous.  Hell, this week I've listened almost exclusively to Def Leppard. 
Yes, Def Leppard (pre-Pyromania, but still.).
My point is that if this Miso album had come out 10 years earlier, my prediction would have come true.  I guess it doesn't matter.  Maybe if this album had gotten the attention it deserved, it would have compelled the artist to make more like it (or unlike it even).  Artists nowadays aren't given the chance to develop in the same way they did in the 70's and 80's.  This guy was a genius and no one will ever know.  Well, except for you and I.


There's a lot to sort through.  I'd recommend starting with maybe track 10 or 26?   28 cracks me up too.  Oh hell, just listen to them all.
01
05
07

09
10
11
13
14
17
25
26
28
30

1 comment:

  1. hell yes dave....i KNEW you would get it, hope people will actually give it a listen..it's damn worth the time

    ReplyDelete